With fierce competition and plenty of hot debates, homeowners NZ wide are determined to have their say as to which is better: a pizza oven or a BBQ!
Choosing Between a Pizza Oven and a BBQ
Are you getting ready to install an outdoor kitchen? Perhaps you are thinking about entertaining outside year round, rather than just in summer? Deciding which appliances or cooking facilities you need has gone way past visiting the local DIY store and picking up a portable gas barbie.
Nowadays New Zealanders are wanting more than a burnt sausage with sauce, making outdoor entertaining areas an essential must have feature for every home.
To help you choose between buying a wood fired pizza oven or a gas or charcoal BBQ, there are a few things to consider:
- Garden Space – larger gardens are able to fit multiple cooking appliances or larger versions of either. A smaller garden may require miniature versions or just one cooking method. Another thing to consider is the proximity to your neighbours, as smoke from a pizza oven would be considerably more annoying than a gas operated BBQ aroma.
- Food Types – a wood fired oven can not only cook pizza, but also roast meals, breads, vegetables and casseroles. With a BBQ, you are more limited in food options.
- Taste – charcoal BBQs provide quite a distinctive smokey taste, while gas operated ones don’t. However, wood fired pizza ovens also provide a smokey flavour.
- Time Constraints – a pizza oven can reach temperatures of between 260-370 degrees and can cook a pizza within 2 minutes. It does take a bit of time to reach cooking temperatures though. In comparison, a gas BBQ reaches around 200 degrees within minutes but takes longer to cook the food. A charcoal BBQ requires around 15-20 minutes to reach cooking temperatures of between 260-370 degrees, cooks faster than its gas operated counterpart, but not as fast as a wood fired oven.
- Cleaning – all outdoor kitchens require cleaning, but charcoal and wood fired ones do make more mess with their ash remains.
- Visual Appeal – there is nothing like cooking around a fire and a pizza oven gives you a fantastic focal point for your alfresco dining area. A BBQ is somewhat less visually appealing.
Regardless of your choice, it is only one part of your new outdoor kitchen. For some great ideas on designing and building the Kiwi outdoor entertainment area of your dreams, give us a call. Our building teams are ready to make living in and enjoying more time outdoors a reality for you and your family.